Thursday, May 27, 2010

13 Things @ Coe

My son is multi-lingual and for the last several years I have expressed a desire to learn another language so today it appears I embark on that journey. Of course when I told him I would learn a new language I was thinking more traditionally in terms of "Spanish", "French", or "German", however, given the scope of the change occurring in communication methods and language I have decided to bridge my gap across the digital divide and learn to speak, at least somewhat more fluently, "digitaleze" For this reason and many more I picked up the challenge issued on campus and have committed to complete 13 Things @ Coe this summer.

A firm believer in the ability of the individual to achieve the seemingly impossible (my children are all shaking their heads---both that they know this is true of me and that they would find my immigration into the digital world to be a source of great humor and immense fun-poking) and wishing to retain the ability to relate to the grandchildren I may someday (hint, hint) have I am about to embark on a journey to learn another language.

3 comments:

  1. My seven-year-old and I were talking about amusement park rides last week. I told her I liked the Tilt-o-Whirl. She wanted to know how fast they go...I made up an answer, and she said "that's not very fast." I said "they might go faster, I don't remember, it's been awhile since I've ridden one." to which she replied, "yeah, they're probably way faster now, technology has improved a lot since you were a kid, Momma."

    Even at seven, she's grasping how things change from generation to generation (although, I'm quite certain that the Tilt-o-Whirls I rode are most likely still in circulation!).

    BTW - I love that you have tags!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wanted to learn another language, but have no talent for it, or no patience. I've never really thought of technology as being a second language! I'd say I can cross that one off my list, but I am sadly behind when it comes to web 2.0. Technology seems to be on a never ending learning curve that I fell off too soon, hence participating in '13 Things at Coe' :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Kim! So are you learning about web design? That's awesome! I really want to learn, too. Are you taking a class or figuring it out on your own? Miss you!

    ReplyDelete